Health Care FSA
Save money while keeping you and your family healthy.
The Savings Power of This FSA
A Health Care FSA (HCFSA) is a pre-tax benefit account that’s used to pay for eligible medical, dental, and vision care expenses – those not covered by your health care plan or elsewhere. It’s a smart, simple way to save money while keeping you and your family healthy and protected. Plus, if you re-enroll in FSAFEDS during Open Season, you can carry over up to $500 remaining in your account from one plan year to the next, so there’s no “use or lose” risk.
Why Enroll in a Health Care FSA?
- Save an average of 30 percent on eligible Health Care expenses
- Access the full amount of your account on day one of the FSAFEDS plan year
- Carry over up to $500 from one plan year to the next when you re-enroll in a Health Care FSA – there’s virtually no risk of losing your hard-earned money
How You Save
With a Health Care FSA, you use pre-tax dollars to pay for qualified out-of-pocket Health Care expenses. The money you contribute to a Health Care FSA is not subject to payroll taxes, so you end up paying less in taxes and taking home more of your paycheck.
And since you can carry over up to $500 remaining in your account from one plan year to the next, there’s no reason not to take advantage of the tax savings this year – and every year.
Health Care FSA Eligible Expenses
- Medical expenses: co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles
- Dental expenses: exams, cleanings, X-rays, and braces
- Vision expenses: exams, contact lenses and supplies, eyeglasses, and laser eye surgery
- Professional services: physical therapy, chiropractor, and acupuncture
- Prescription drugs, insulin, and prescribed over-the-counter medicine
- Over-the-counter health care items: bandages, pregnancy test kits, blood pressure monitors, etc.
How You Get It
You enroll in or renew your enrollment in your Health Care FSA through FSAFEDS during Open Season each year.
How You Manage It
With a variety of convenient reimbursement and payment options, your Health Care FSA makes it easy for you to get reimbursed for hundreds of eligible Health Care expenses. Learn more about your reimbursement and payment options.
Simply log in to your FSAFEDS online account at any time to manage all aspects of your Health Care FSA:
- Check account balances
- Submit claims and view claims status
- Look up eligible expenses
- Select your reimbursement methods (by check or direct deposit)
- Choose to receive account alerts by email or text
Or you can log in to your account any time with the FSAFEDs app. Just download this handy app to your mobile device and log in with the same username and password as your online account. It’s the easy way to manage your FSA when on the go!Learn More
How It Works
Step 1 Determine Your Annual Election
If you are eligible to participate in the FSAFEDS program, decide how much to contribute to your Health Care FSA account based on how much you plan to spend in the upcoming year on out-of-pocket medical, dental, and vision care expenses.
You can contribute up to a maximum of $2,650See contribution information* to your Health Care FSA each year. Keep in mind, you may carry over up to $500 remaining in your account from one plan year to the next.
* IRS annual contribution limit for 2018. Back to main content
Step 2 Enroll to Start Saving
After deciding how much to contribute to your account, enroll in a Health Care FSA. After you’re enrolled, your funds are withdrawn automatically from each paycheck for deposit into your account before taxes are deducted. The total annual election amount is available on day one of your plan year.
Step 3 Pay for Health Care Expenses
Use your Health Care FSA to pay for eligible medical, dental, and vision care expenses, and decide which payment or reimbursement option to use.