Who is Eligible to Enroll?


If you're an employee who works for an Executive branch agency or an agency that has adopted the Federal Flexible Benefits Plan ("FedFlex"), you can elect to participate in the Federal Flexible Spending Accounts Program (FSAFEDS).

FSAFEDS offers two different flexible spending accounts (FSAs): a Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HCFSA), and a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA). You must be eligible for (though not necessarily enrolled in) the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program to enroll in a HCFSA. FEHB eligibility is not required to enroll in a Dependent Care FSA.

If you are enrolled in a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) with a Health Savings Account (HSA) you are not eligible for a “general purpose” Health Care Flexible Spending Account. However, you may be eligible for a Limited Expense Health Care Flexible Spending Account (LEX HCFSA) and/or a Dependent Care FSA (DCFSA). For more information on HDHPs and HSAs, visit http://www.opm.gov/hsa.

Annuitants are not eligible by law and active duty military personnel are also not eligible. For more information, refer to the Summary of Benefits.


You are currently viewing a pop-up message and will need to close this Window to return to the page you requested.